Posted by Kahoomiki on January 16th, 2009
“About Hawaii Senior Olympics”
The Hawaii Senior Olympics are organized by the Hawaii Senior Games Association, a sub-group of Kaho`omiki, a private non-profit organization headquartered in Honolulu. HSGA is a member of the National Senior Games Association, and shares its purpose to foster physical and mental fitness among seniors by providing information, education and competition activities that assist and encourage fitness.
HSGA was formed in 1997 by Hawaii seniors to promote and encourage health and wellness among seniors of all ages, in Hawaii and throughout Hawaii’s sphere of influence. Focus is on establishing or encouraging participation in training and fitness programs, including events of physical activity and sport, which allow and encourage seniors to enjoy age-group competition, camaraderie and conviviality.
HSGA is part of Kaho`omiki, an independent non-profit organization incorporated in Hawaii that is governed by a seven-member board of community leaders.
1. Maintain statewide membership of seniors.
2. Develop affiliation with all Hawaii organizations of sport and fitness serving seniors.
3. Conduct annual senior fitness programs.
4. Conduct annual Hawaii Senior Olympics.
5. Develop series of competitions on all islands leading up to Hawaii Senior Olympics.
6. Conduct training activities which lead to better health and wellness for seniors.
7. Conduct fundraising activities to support organization objectives.
8. Incorporate NSGA policies, programs and goals into all HSGA operations.